Monday, August 23, 2010

birthday cookies: the final product

Here's what came of all the cookie testing.
I decided to use a modified royal icing once I realized
that it wasn't the food poisoning that scared me -- I
just hate the idea of eating raw egg whites in any form!
I could, of course, get over this whole aversion if the
icing tasted amazing. But it didn't. So I moved on.

Here's the icing recipe I ended up using:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • 2 tsp corn syrup
  • 1 squeeze fresh lime
  • 1 tsp vanilla (leave out for white icing... or use brandy)
  • half & half  [added gradually to correct consistency]
  • gel paste food coloring*
[Note: My favorite sugar cookie recipe thus far is Martha Stewart's Ideal Sugar Cookies
using brandy rather than milk, rolled out to 1/4" instead of 1/8" and baked 12 minutes, just
until any edge turns golden.]

This piped on well, flooded great, and tasted fine.
Also didn't get as crunchy as the real royal icing,
which was nice. Yesterday's reviews were lots of
thumbs-up. Now to face the hardcore critics --
the kindergarteners! Anyway, Happy Birthday,
my little buddy. I love you!

*As I mentioned last year, icing can be colored
naturally, with turmeric (yellow) or berry juice
(pink or purple). There's also a natural line of
food coloring that's available. Haven't found it
locally, though, and it's pricey online.

No comments: