Wednesday, January 11, 2012

massaged kale

I didn't think to take a picture of the salad I made for dinner tonight,
so here's what's left of it. Can you believe it?! And it was KALE!!

I've been learning the wonders of kale and other dark, leafy greens
over the past year. But how to incorporate them into my household's
diet and actually get people to eat them? Also, some recipes for kale
require long cooking times. I need something speedy most nights.

I decided to go with a fresh kale salad tonight, but when I pulled it 
out of the bag (thank you, Trader Joe's), the leaves were all dry and
leathery. Enter The Kale Massage. Here's how it works:

  1. Cut or tear Kale leaves from the spine (discard spine). Chop to bite size.
  2. Add a dash of oil, a splash of lemon juice, and a couple croinks of salt.
  3. Squeeze, rub, and otherwise massage the kale leaves for about 2 minutes.
  4. The kale will wilt down a bit and turn shiny and tender. Who knew?!?
  5. Now, you could leave it like that or add some salad dressing and the like.  

 I did the following (and people loved it... even some of the kids): 
Warm Bacon Dressing --
  1. Cook up 5 pieces of bacon. Crumble.
  2. In a bowl, mix up 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp corn starch.
  3. Add 1/8 cup water and 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar. Whisk.
  4. Heat the bacon bits in a pan. Gradually add the liquid mixture.
  5. Heat to a boil, stirring until thickened (but not too thick!).
Kale Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing --
  1. Spoon the bacon bits onto massaged kale and add dressing to taste.
  2. Chop half of a granny smith apple into the salad.
  3. Sprinkle feta on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix.
Okay... so it's not fat free. But it is yummy and vitamin packed! I'll let you know if
future experiments in massaged kale turn up something tasty that's less gratuitous.

2 comments:

Emily Lewis said...

Hello, dear-heart. You page is so refreshing and up-lifting and happy. Thanks for doing it.
I love kale and may try your recipe.
Have you ever tried Soupa Tuscona at the Olive Garden? Has kale, bacon, potatoes....If you've eaten it can you tell me how I might make it?
Lots a love, Em

Susan Cepin said...

Thanks, Em!
I love that stuff!!
Here's a recipe that looks promising:
http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html

If you try it out, let us know how it went!!