Saturday, June 5, 2010

gearing up

I'm starting an etsy shop!!
For those of you who haven't yet discovered this
wonderful world, it's an online marketplace for handmade goods. 
This move is inspired by several requests that items I have
created be made available for sale. To that, I say "Thank you!"
I intend to start by making bags to sell and then perhaps 
expand to other sewn items as well as prints or originals 
of my paintings and collage work.

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I kick things off.  
So I will let you know more as opening day approaches!

In preparation, I'm soaking up all things entrepreneurial.
I have checked out all sorts of things from the local library
about starting and running a small business
(speaking of which, if you have any favorite books along these 
lines, drop me a post -- I'd love any suggestions!), including:
Handmade Marketplace by Kari Chapin
The Savvy Crafter's Guide to Success by Sandra McCall
Craft Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco.

As I have considered the prospect and the possibilities,
I am encouraged by the realization of how many entrepreneurial 
people I know, many of whom are small business owners.
Those who readily come to mind include a handyman (who
used to run businesses as beekeeper, knife/scissor sharpener,
and a few other things), a candymaker, a massage therapist,
a jewelry maker, a house painter, a realtor, a real estate investor, 
a photographer, a mechanic, a couple of church planters, 
a few sales reps, and a handful of counselors. I say "encouraged" 
because I've seen all these people experience success at what 
they do and have also seen them not make horrible, 
life-shattering mistakes. If they can do it, maybe I can too. 
And if I have questions, maybe they can help me find answers!


2 comments:

loca said...

Consider me the first customer to the bag collection. :) Can't wait!

Susan Cepin said...

Yay! Thanks, girl!